5 Cannabis Strains For Glioma Brain Cancer
Glioma is a common kind of brain cancer, making up 45% of cases. This type of cancer develops in normal brain tissue which makes surgical removal difficult. Even the best kind of surgery money can buy may end up leaving small parts of the tumor attached to a brain, increasing the chances of the cancer returning or spreading to other body parts. Add to that the fact that gliomas affect the very organ that is tough to access directly due to the blood-brain-barrier, glioma is one of the most difficult cancers to treat.
The symptoms of glioma differ, depending on the type of glial cells that produce tumors. The location, speed of growth, and size of tumor detected will have an impact on the symptoms. However, the most common symptoms of glioma brain cancer are headaches, nausea, vomiting, impaired cognitive function, memory loss, confusion, urinary incontinence, difficulty balancing and focusing, irritability, personality changes, seizures, and speech difficulties.
The prognosis for high-grade gliomas is poor, but cannabis has been shown to help.
A 1998 study showed that delta-9 THC (tetrahydrocannabidiol) is effective in inducing apoptosis, or programmed cell death among cultured glioma cells. When the resaerchers followed up the findings in 2000, they found that using THC and a synthetic cannabinoid “induced a considerable regression of malignant gliomas”. A 2003 study in London found that even if cannabis has hundreds of beneficial cannabinoids, THC and CBD (cannabidiol) alone were beneficial in eliminating nearly half of the glioma cells among animal subjects.
If you know someone who needs cannabis for glioma brain cancer, these are the 5 best strains for this condition:
- Cannatonic is an uplifting hybrid with a high CBD content. Cannatonic is an excellent strain for the pain and headaches associated with glioma brain cancer, but the high CBD content also makes it an ideal strain for helping patients mitigate the psychological effects of a cancer diagnosis. In fact, Cannatonic is one of the most widely used cannabis strains for many ailments. Although its high doesn’t last for a long period of time, Cannatonic is an essential medicine that should be on every patient’s emergency kit.
- ACDC is another great high CBD strain that won’t get you intoxicated. It’s a good choice for daily medicine used for the treatment of pain, anxiety, and all the side effects of chemotherapy while giving you a clear head. Patients use ACDC for the sense of calm it offers, while allowing you to feel a euphoric high without the buzz. It also helps you effectively deal with stress, anxiety, and depression that may be brought on by going through cancer treatment.
- Bubba Kush is a sweet-flavored indica strain that is famous in the United States for its powerful tranquilizing characteristics. If you are having trouble sleeping because of the symptoms of glioma brain cancer, this strain will calm both body and mind, enough to send you off into a deep slumber. Bubba Kush has potent euphoric numbing effects, effective in eliminating stress while inducing happiness. Aside from crushing insomnia, Bubba Kush is used for the treatment of depression, muscle spasms, and pain.
- Super Lemon Haze is a pick-me-upper kind of strain, ideal for glioma brain cancer patients who need a little help with fatigue and energy. It’s one of the best-tasting and most effective energetic strains out there, with a delicious lemony taste to boot. Super Lemon Haze is known for the euphoric head high it delivers, with a THC content reaching up to 22% for added cancer-fighting benefits. Super Lemon Haze works well for appetite loss, fatigue, pain, stress, and depression.
- Berry White is a high-THC indica strain, with THC levels sometimes reaching to as high as 28%. Also known as White Berry and Blue Widow, Berry White is used by cancer patients for lifting one’s mood while inducing a deep sense of relaxation. It’s widely used for stress relief because of its potent calming properties, but cancer patients can also benefit from its ability to knock out insomnia as well as pain, nausea, depression, and stress. Berry White makes a good choice for evening medication, and compared to other strains it has virtually no side effects.