Cannabis Strains For Post-Op Pain & Surgical Care
Cannabis is extremely beneficial as a natural, safe medicine after going through major surgery. It’s common for patients to experience pain caused by nerve damage following an operation, but cannabis can be used in place of harmful painkillers and opioids.
A 2010 study says that “An alarming portion of patients develop persistent or chronic pain following surgical procedures, but the mechanisms underlying the transition from acute to chronic pain states are not yet fully understood.” Cannabis contains important, healing cannabinoids that can help patients better manage pain safely, especially after surgery.
A 2006 study conducted by researchers at the Imperial College London analyzed 65 patients who recently underwent surgery. They were all given Cannador, a cannabis extract. Out of the 65 patients, 11 received a 5mg dose, 30 were administered with a 10mg dose, and 24 were given 15mg. All participants who were given the 5mg dose asked for more pain killers since they found that their minimal dose was ineffective, yet 50% of those given the 10mg dose asked for additional pain treatment. On the other hand, 25% of those who were administered with the highest dose of 15mg asked for more analgesics. The researchers found, “We thought cannabis might be beneficial in helping manage pain following surgery, as previous research indicated cannabinoids help top up the body’s natural system for reducing pain sensation. This research proves it can be effective, with minimal side effects at low doses.”
According to Dr. Anita Holdcroft, lead researcher at the Imperial College London, “Pain after surgery continues to be a problem because many of the commonly used drugs are either ineffective or have too many side effects. These results show that cannabinoids are effective.”
Check out these 5 strains to help effectively manage post-op surgical pain:
- AK-47 is a powerful weapon for pain. This strain is renowned for its relaxing and mellow properties, but it’s extremely effective in knocking out pain. AK-47 is a sativa-dominant hybrid that delivers long-lasting pain relief starting with a cerebral buzz followed by an energizing high that will keep you energized and motivated for social or creative endeavors. Post-op patients will benefit from AK-47’s painkilling properties as well as its ability to treat the anxiety and depression that may follow after going through major surgery.
- Grape Ape is an indica that will help you conquer sleep troubles caused by extreme pain from surgery. Although its distinct grape-like aroma is what makes Grape Ape famous, it’s also renowned among the medical community for its analgesic properties. A few puffs of Grape Ape will soothe pain almost immediately, while enabling you to feel relaxed and more carefree – ideal if you’re experiencing anxiety. Grape Ape is a popular choice for treating other mood disorders too, such as stress and depression, while eliminating pain and helping you get sleep.
- Cannatonic is recommended for post-op patients who don’t want to get high. This famous strain is celebrated for its high CBD percentage, which treats inflammation and in the process helps you heal from pain. Cannatonic is a hybrid, combining the best of both worlds (sativa and indica) for a balanced feel that won’t get you high. In some cases, Cannatonic’s CBD content may go up as much as 17% so you can be sure that this strain will provide you with the relief you need, without the psychoactive effects of THC. The CBD content of this strain is also recommended for treating mood disorders.
- Green Crack is an uplifting, energizing sativa that post-op patients can rely on for treating pain as well as fatigue. Green Crack is well known for delivering a laser sharp mental focus that will get you through the day, even if post-op brain fog and pain is getting you down. It does the job without being too overwhelming or tiring.
- Jack Herer is recommended for patients who suffer from severe nerve pain following surgery. Jack herer is an award-winning strain, a sativa dominant one that has gained a cult following in the medical cannabis community for its strong painkilling properties. It delivers a blissful yet clear-headed high, allowing you to be focused and think clearly despite pain. Jack Herer works well for fatigue and pain as well as depression and stress.