Cannabis Strains For Prostate Cancer
Prostate cancer is so common in the male population that it causes deaths in 1 out of every 39 men. Next to skin cancer, prostate cancer affects more American men than any other disease. Like other types of cancers, what’s scary about prostate cancer is that it comes with no warning signs. Individuals with prostate cancer will usually only ever know that they have it once it has spread to other body parts, then symptoms begin to manifest: frequent urination, inability to urinate, interrupted urinary stream, painful or burning sensation when urinating or ejaculating, leaking urine when laughing or coughing, or blood in the urine.
Prostate cancer, just like other forms of cancer, are usually addressed through aggressive forms of conventional treatments. These include surgery, chemotherapy, radiation, biologic therapy, and hormone therapy among others. However, cannabis has shown to be a beneficial complementary treatment when used either alone or alongside conventional treatment, depending on how far the disease has spread. Studies show that cannabis is effective in inhibiting the growth of prostate cancer cells, and this news can help save lives.
If you’re looking to use cannabis for prostate cancer, or know someone who needs it, these are 5 of the best strains to combat this disease and manage side effects of treatment:
- Northern Lights is an indica dominant strain with pure genetics thanks to its Afghani indica and Thai sativa parents. Northern Lights is high in THC and low in CBD, with classic indica properties such as powerful nausea relief for patients undergoing chemotherapy and radiation treatments. Medicating with Northern Lights provides an unbeatable sense of calm, while helping to induce a deep slumber necessary for your physical and mental healing from prostate cancer.
- ACDC is a powerful hybrid loved by patients from all over. Its parent is Cannatonic, a strong CBD-heavy strain, so it’s no surprise that ACDC also shares the same healing genetics of this highly therapeutic cannabinoid. ACDC is a great choice for patients who are suffering from immense pain; since its CBD content can numb it down and make treatment bearable. Additionally, the THC content of ACDC is low, making it ideal for patients who don’t want to get high.
- Granddaddy Purple is a well-known calming and relaxing cannabis strain that promotes rest. Patients use Granddaddy Purple for its ability to induce sleepiness quicker than most other strains, but first it will induce hunger – making this a good strain for cancer and chemotherapy patients who are suffering from a lack of appetite. Without an appetite, you won’t be able to give your body the healing vitamins and minerals that it needs to combat the side effects of treatment while helping your system fight off the growth of cancer cells. The munchies and quick sedation from Granddaddy Purple are all welcome effects for anyone going through cancer treatment.
- Charlotte’s Web is famous worldwide for its high CBD and extremely low THC content. Charlotte’s Web is particularly celebrated in the medical cannabis community because of its ability to help heal several serious chronic conditions, purely due to its CBD content which means that you won’t get high. Although Charlotte’s Web is the first strain of choice for patients of seizures and epilepsy, many cancer patients have also benefited from its healing properties. Patients can expect a calm and peaceful buzz, but Charlotte’s Web is also known for its inflammation and pain killing properties that are unlike any other.
- Chocolope is an uplifting and energizing sativa strain that helps knock fatigue out, a common side effect of cancer patients. If you are looking for a little help to get more energy out of your life, especially in between exhausting treatment sessions, Chocolope is the strain for you. This strain has a unique double sativa pedigree, and many patients enjoy Chocolope because it provides a euphoric high that will put a smile on your face while helping you stay positive. Chocolope has been around for several decades, and it’s also widely used among patients who are suffering from depression and stress on its own or as a side effect of chronic illnesses, so you can be sure you can depend on this strain for a boost in your mood.