Cannabis Strains For Pulmonary Fibrosis
Pulmonary fibrosis is a condition that affects the lungs. It occurs when the lung tissue becomes scarred, damaging vital lung function due to thick and stiff tissue which prevents the lungs from working properly.
When pulmonary fibrosis worsens, this causes you to suffer from short breath. The primary symptoms of pulmonary fibrosis include shortness of breath, fatigue, dry cough, aching joints and muscles, unexplained weight loss, and clubbing (widening of the tips of fingers and toes). However, the symptoms and its severity varies based on each case. Some individuals with pulmonary fibrosis may only have moderate symptoms that gradually get worse over time, while others become very ill at a faster rate. The shortness of breath may last for weeks, requiring the use of a mechanical ventilator to help with breathing.
Cannabis has shown to be effective in treating the symptoms of pulmonary fibrosis, speeding up the healing time and helping patients achieve a better quality of life without the side effects of pharmaceutical medications. Cannabis has been shown to have bronchodilatory effects, which means that it helps relax the bronchial muscles, contributing to an improvement in your breathing. Cannabis also has anti-inflammatory properties thanks to the raw cannabinoid content that works with the THC and CBD for maximum healing. Studies show that cannabis reduces pulmonary inflammation and leads to improved lung function in animal models with inflammatory lung conditions.
But because patients with pulmonary fibrosis already have deteriorating lung damage, using other forms of administration instead of smoking is recommended. You may want to use these strains to develop edibles, make cannabis tea, or use sublingual tinctures.
These are the 5 best strains to help you with pulmonary fibrosis.
- Afghan Kush is a powerful indica that can help patients of pulmonary fibrosis get some much-needed sleep. Afghan Kush is a widely popular strain among medical patients; it can alleviate inflammation in the lungs, mitigate pain, and address stress and depression. This strain is well-known for its potent sedative effects, which makes it ideal for nighttime or evening medication.
- Pennywise is another great indica prized for its high CBD content. Pennywise is known for its mild and clear-headed but euphoric high. This strain does a great job at treating the pain felt in the joints and muscles, and it can also help with inducing the appetite to treat unexplained weight loss. One of the things that make Pennywise so valuable as a medicinal strain is its 1:1 ratio of CBD and THC, which is the ideal ratio for treating a wide range of conditions while giving you a relaxing but mild high. Pennywise can also be used to treat insomnia, headaches, stress, arthritis, and chronic pain.
- Headband is a terrific medicinal strain especially for treating pain and anxiety. The result of crossing Sour Diesel and OG Kush, Headband’s royal heritage has produced powerful therapeutic benefits for patients with pulmonary fibrosis. Headband delivers a euphoric and uplifting high, ideal for medicating at any time of the day. It has a high THC content, sometimes reaching as much as 27% THC so the best way to maximize its healing benefits is through microdosing. However, take note that some users report that Headband may sometimes cause a mild pressure on the head, hence its name.
- Girl Scout Cookies not only has a delicious flavor but it’s also effective in soothing your muscles while promoting healing of lung function. This strain delivers a euphoric high felt in both body and mind. It’s no surprise that Girl Scout Cookies has received many Cannabis Cup Awards over the last few years, so you can be sure that this strain is a good choice to medicate with. If you’re having trouble sleeping, use some Girl Scout Cookies before bed.
- Harlequin is a wonderful sativa strain with a high CBD content. If you don’t to get too high while treating pulmonary fibrosis, Harlequin is highly recommended. The lack of any psychoactive effects makes Harlequin an excellent daytime medication, while still allowing you to have the clear headedness you need to accomplish tasks. Additionally, Harlequin also works well for inflammation, pain, and arthritis. Overall, Harlequin is relaxing and therapeutic; a must-have strain that all medicine cabinets should have.
What strains have you used to treat pulmonary fibrosis? Share with us in the comments below!