Get To Know The World’s Most Famous Cannabis Strains
There are hundreds of cannabis strains in the world today. With the rise of the craft cannabis market, more continue getting bred.
But there will always be famous, legendary strains. Names that you always see in dispensaries around the country, names that are considered classics. Despite the sheer variety of cannabis strains in the market today, many users still go back to specific strains – these are the world’s most famous ones, which are there for a reason.
These are 7 of the world’s top-selling cannabis strains and the stories behind them:
- Blue Dream: One of the best selling strains in most legal cannabis markets in the USA, Blue Dream has been a cult favorite for many years now. It’s been on the top of cannabis sales in both Washington and Colorado for many years, after being on the top in the California market for a long time.
Blue Dream is the result of crossing a sativa Haze and indica Blueberry, and it’s known for setting the benchmark when it comes to the perfect hybrid effect. However, some phenotypes are more indica-heavy. Most users love Blue Dream for its ability to put you in a great, uplifted mood. It’s an ideal strain for newbies to try, because it’s not that heavy. Blue Dream can take you any mood you want to be in; use it in large doses at night to sleep, but a few hits in the morning can set the tone for the day.
Patients rely on Blue dream for its ability to provide quick symptom relief without the couch lock. This strain is widely used for treating pain, nausea, depression, headaches, and stress.
- Granddaddy Purple: Distinct for its vivid purple appearance, Granddaddy Purple is considered a game changer for pioneering a following for purple pot. It’s also known for its deliciously sweet grape flavor. It was created in San Francisco by Ken Estes in 2003, who wanted to create the ultimate indica by breeding two strains that had equally famous genetics: Big Bud and Purple Urkle.
Granddaddy Purple is one of the most in-demand indica strains because it imparts classic yet comfortable indica properties, making it ideal for users who want a potent relaxing buzz for nighttime use. It sedates both body and mind, and ends up with a smooth physical high, sending you off to delicious slumber.
For this reason, many pain patients prefer classic indicas like Granddaddy Purple. Its THC content helps with pain, but also helps you get shut eye – which we all know can be close to impossible if you’re suffering from excruciating pain. Granddaddy Purple is perfect for insomniacs; it also does a terrific job at treating appetite loss, stress, and muscle spasms.
Simply put, if you need a reliable strain for relaxing or going to sleep, look no further than Granddaddy Purple.
- Green Crack: Despite its controversial name, Green Crack contains no crack in it. Rapper Snoop Dogg allegedly gave this strain its name because of its powerful energetic properties. Green Crack always has a place in dispensary menus; it’s one of the most uplifting daytime strains out there.
The sativa-dominant properties of Green Crack make this a great choice for users who enjoy waking and baking, or who need a strain that pack a punch in the productivity department. If you need a little help focusing at work or getting a creative job done, Green Crack will help – plus its effects last pretty long. Few other strains can hold a candle to the mental clarity that this strain brings, and that’s what makes it pretty special. It’s cerebrally invigorating and euphoric; the high energy it delivers makes it a great outgoing strain too. If you’re looking for a classic sativa, this is as good as it gets! It doesn’t hurt either that Green Crack has a tasty fruit flavor.
Green Crack is an excellent antidote to fatigue, depression, and stress. It’s also used to treat appetite loss and pain.
- Girl Scout Cookies: A favorite of both beginners and seasoned smokers, Girl Scout Cookies is renowned for offering an excellent balanced buzz. Thanks to premium genetics arising from OG Kush and Durban Poison, Girl Scout Cookies is a hybrid that comes from legendary parent strains so it’s no surprise that you get the best of both worlds in one beautiful strain.
Girl Scout Cookies has a delicious earthy wood scent topped off with a sweet citrus taste. Most phenotypes are indica-leaning, as this strain can set you off on a happy yet mellow mood. Although originally from California, the effects of Girl Scout Cookies earned it a reputation too large to stay within the state. It’s well-loved for the full-body relaxation and euphoria it delivers, plus you don’t need a lot to enjoy a high. A few tokes of this strain will go a long way. It’s also been the recipient of several Cannabis Cup Awards.
Medically, Girl Scout Cookies effectively treats insomnia, stress, depression, and chronic pain. If you need a strong dose for any of these conditions, this strain will do the job.
- Northern Lights: Another game-changing strain, it’s easy to say that no other strain is perhaps as famous as the iconic Northern Lights. It has been bred using revolutionary genetics that spawned many other famous strains that are equally well-loved today. Northern Lights originated from pure Afghani landraces, and it hit the market sometime in the 1980’s. It has received several awards in its time, and is one of the most reliable and trusted strains of cannabis.
While not much is known about the exact history of Northern Lights, we do know that it ended up in the Seed Bank, owned by groundbreaking cannabis breeder Neville Shoenmaker. At the Seed Bank in the Netherlands, Northern Lights was marketed as a pure indica bred from Afghan genetics, and it began to spread like wildfire, breeding more Northern Lights phenotypes.
Northern Lights is for the cannabis user who needs a relaxing, sedating strain. Use this strain to treat depression, appetite loss, stress, PTSD, and migraines.
- Sour Diesel: This sativa-dominant hybrid strain is distinct for its powerful diesel-like taste and aroma, which you can smell a mile away. The strain’s flavor is true to its name when you get a whiff of it. But while some find Sour Diesel to take some getting used to, this is a staple in dispensaries because of its potent high and fast-acting medicinal properties.
Sour Diesel is a pungent sativa that will knock out depression, stress, and even the heaviest of pain in record time. It is believed to have been the product of breeding Northern Lights, Chemdawg, and a Skunk phenotype. It contains some indica, but doesn’t give off that heavy couch lock that most other indicas are known for. Because of this, Sour Diesel may not be the best for insomnia. Many love Sour Diesel for its lively high, and in fact use it during the morning or the daytime for a surge of productivity and creativity. The high is well-balanced and it can even be used for daily medication, delivering a dependable dose of uplifting euphoria, happiness, and energy.
The medicinal benefits of Sour Diesel are far-reaching. It’s widely used for the treatment of stress, PTSD, chronic pain, fatigue, depression, bipolar disorder, and headaches. In small amounts, it can also treat anxiety.
- White Widow: Another celebrated cannabis strain, White Widow quickly gained popularity as soon as it was launched in 1994. It has won several awards, and is known for its powerful potency that will make even the most seasoned smoker humble with its high. White Widow comes from royal genetics, so it’s no wonder that it’s frequently used to breed other strains especially hybrids.
The history of White Widow is muddy at best, as there are many stories and theories surrounding this strain. Regardless, it’s come a long way since then and is now considered an essential strain among dispensary menus and in medicine cabinets for patients. White Widow has parented other popular strains including Blue Widow, White Rhino, and White Russian. The original strain produces a very cerebral, heady high that is usually associated with sativa plants, but this is because of the large amounts of THC usually in this strain. Because of its cerebral high, many turn to White Widow to help fight off depression and stress. Once the high starts to die down, you’ll end up feeling its physical buzz attributed by its indica content.
But overall, White Widow is a cult favorite because it keeps you mentally alert and feeling positive while relaxing you mind and body. It’s medicinal benefits don’t go unmentioned either: White Widow is helpful for PTSD, appetite loss, hepatitis, chronic pain, depression, and for alleviating the side effects of chemotherapy. Because of its versatile benefits for the recreational and medicinal user, White Widow is hard to beat in the eyes of many smokers.
If you haven’t tried any of these strains before, do yourself a favor and try them. Thank us later.