These days, it’s definitely an advantage to use a VPN service while online and they’re the best thing to happen to online privacy. With everybody out there seeming to want to track who you are and what you do, a service that allows you to perform your online activities anonymously and leave behind virtually no footprint is very desirable. Fortunately, there are services out there that provide this protection at a reasonable price.
One of the best out there is the IPVanish VPN service. Started in 2012 and based in Florida, USA, they are one of the few Tier-1 VPN providers owning and operating their own network in the VPN industry.
WHY DO I NEED IT?
– IPVanish VPN network spans 25,000+ IPs on 165+ servers in 60+ countries
– Use IPVanish to grab an anonymous IP address and appear to be at whatever location you choose. You can watch whatever you want from wherever you want. Streaming services like Netflix restrict the content their viewers can see based on geographic location, making content available in certain areas but unavailable in others. IPVanish VPN enables users to safely get around these geo-blocks, by providing anonymous IP addresses on secure servers in every corner of the world.
When you change your IP address, you’re essentially moving your Internet connection to the location you want to be in, without actually moving anywhere. Having the ability to access content from the location of your choice, easily and securely is having Internet freedom like you’ve never known before. Once you get used to watching your favorite programming from wherever you are, you won’t want it any other way.
– Prevent you from getting hacked while on public Wi-Fi.
– Keep your online presence and information private. From government censorship to corporate firewalls, hackers to ISPs, your online freedom is constantly threatened. Depending on your location you could be blocked from social media sites and your favorite content. Your traffic at home can be throttled by your ISP, your online identity known to search engines, and your Internet data vulnerable to hackers – all because you’re not using a VPN. IPVanish protects your online freedom because it puts you in control of your location with an anonymous IP address, keep search engines from tracking your online searches and encrypt your data. Encryption keeps your online identity and data safe from the prying eyes of ISPs, cyber criminals and anyone else who poses a threat to your Internet freedom.
– VOIP providers, like Vonage, and other long distance communication companies, like Skype, often base their business on charging higher fees for international calls. With IPVanish you can choose your country of origin and keep those bills lower. Communicating via the Internet is one of the luxuries technology provides. Its convenience allows families and loved ones around the globe to stay easily connected. Unfortunately VoIP calls just like telephone calls are not secure in any way, and for reasons like censorship blocking, firewalls are used in many countries to ban VoIP communication. VoIP service providers might also charge higher rates for international calls leaving you with a costly bill.
Using IPVanish for VoIP calls lowers the cost of keeping in touch because you determine the location you’re calling from. Their worldwide network of secure servers provides options from every corner of the globe. Once connected to the server location of your choice, IPVanish encrypts your video and voice conversations. So you don’t have to worry about your personal moments with long distance family and friends being intercepted, recorded or replayed. You’ll also evade firewalls, and beat censorship blocks.
Use IPVanish for VoIP if you want to:
- Lower your International calling costs
- Circumvent firewalls
- Encrypt your video and voice conversations
- Protect your privacy
– When you’re connected to IPVanish, your IP address and location disappear and are replaced with an IPVanish IP address. You can prevent online marketers, search engines and websites from analyzing and using your IP address or location. Geo-targeting is when your physical location is determined and then used by Internet marketers to serve up ads that are relevant to where you’re located. When you’re on the web without a VPN, online advertisers know information about you, such as: IP address, ISP, organization, zip code, state or region, city and country. But when you use IPVanish, your real IP address becomes hidden behind an anonymous IP address, so online marketers, search engines and websites are all in the dark when it comes to your personal information. This allows you to avoid location identification, annoying ads, and unwanted marketing just by simply connecting to one of their secure servers.
– Use IPVanish mobile apps to prevent your personal data (mobile banking, emails, social media, etc.) from being stolen by hackers. IPVanish VPN apps keep your data safe. Your mobile device is an important part of your life that travels with you everywhere you go – so why not protect it? When you’re on the move all of your activities containing your private data (social media, banking, messaging, emails) are not safe from prying eyes and cyber criminals unless you’re using a VPN. IPVanish mobile apps are the easiest and most effective way to secure your on-the-go Internet connections. After you download the iOS or Android app, within seconds you’re connected to a secure server with an anonymous IP address. This turns Wi-Fi hotspots into a safe environment because not only is your online data now passed through an encrypted tunnel, but your true location is also hidden behind an IPVanish anonymous IP.
– International censorship and corporate firewalls can prevent you from accessing many of the sites you frequent at home, such as Facebook and Twitter. Keep your online freedom by using IPVanish VPN.
– ISPs often employ Deep Packet Inspection to snoop on your Internet traffic and limit your Internet speed, including video streaming speeds, based on your Internet usage. IPVanish prevents Deep Packet Inspection and helps you maintain your privacy. All of the information you send and receive online is packaged into packets of data, so when your ISP uses deep packet inspection it scans all of the data packets that cross its network.
The reason this poses a threat to your privacy is because your ISP is free to go through everything you’ve exchanged online. Personal information including shopping records, location and age can be collected and sold to advertising companies. ISPs also use deep packet inspection to monitor your Internet usage and to throttle your Internet speed, which can make it difficult to stream media, or play online games. Governments also use this method to block access to websites for censorship purposes. When you establish a secure connection with IPVanish you prevent deep packet inspection, prevent media throttling, and protect your privacy because all of your traffic is encrypted.
– Once you establish a VPN connection, all of your online data (emails, instant messages, data transfers, online banking) pass through their encrypted tunnel.
They currently have software for the following devices:
- Mac OS X
- Windows Phone
Plenty to choose from.
$10USD/mo. or $6.49USD/mo. a year paid up front. There is also a 3 month package for $8.99USD/mo. paid up front. They offer a 7 day money back guarantee, more than enough time to evaluate the service without it costing anything. Service is activated immediately after payment and confirming your email address. Just download the free software for your device and you are good to go.
You may not think that the software used to manage this service is important, but it is. How well it interacts with your operating system and network can make the difference between a steady, stable connection, and one that drops connections, or just doesn’t behave well with the OS. This was the case with many of the other services I tried. It was either difficult to use and set up or it crashed when it was needed most.
The IPVanish software installed quickly and seamlessly into my Win7 OS. Haven’t tried it on any others, but I’ve found no reports of problems with those. Their tech support is excellent, so if you do run into any problems, quality help is not far away.
Starting the service with the software was very easy. Running the program will take you to the dashboard, where it will automagically choose the fastest server for you, so you have nothing to do but click the "Connect" button. Once connected, which in my case was very fast as compared to other services I tried, you get a map showing the location of the server, the IP address being used, and the time connected to the server. Selecting a server is as easy as dropping down the box and selecting one.
You can select the server you wish to use from a List, off of a Map, or By Use, allowing you to choose from Fastest Server, US Media or Gaming, UK Media or Gaming and CA Media or Gaming.
Another nice feature of the software is that you can tell it to change IP addresses every xx minutes, although I haven’t seen a need to do this. Other options include choosing the active VPN protocol, the OpenVPN port, and the action taken when closing the program, so you can tell it to start when the OS starts, making sure you’re always covered.
Some users have reported a substantial increase in speed when using IPVanish. This wasn’t the case with me. But that is probably due to the dependable 5mb connection I have with CenturyLink. I almost always get the max speed allowed. The very slight difference in speed I experienced matters little when comparing it to the protection I receive using the service.
I made several speed tests per day for the first week of use. I tested the speed while VPN connected, and then again not connected. Although the speed was slightly faster with no VPN, it wasn’t enough to make a worry. Both were just slightly under my max speed of 5mb/sec. And they both varied at different times of the day, affected by the appropriate network congestion. This happened to both the down and up speeds.
If a fast, dependable, cheap VPN service is what you’re looking for, look no further than IPVanish. I tried them all. This is the best. Give them a try for a month for $10. Cancel in a week for a refund. If you like it like I do, get the yearly plan and pay only $77.99, or $6.49/mo. Best deal going.
To summarize in one sentence: They do everything a VPN provider should, and they do it better than anyone else.