Start your Day the Cannabis-Infused Way
A big part of the day goes into eating or thinking about eating. Breakfast is one such meal. As for a creature of habit, we often fall into the same old pattern. Maybe it is time to look for something else. With not too much effort, we can find healthier food to eat.
Breakfast is the most important meal
When it comes to regulating insulin levels, it is advisable not to skip your first meal of the day. That is why nutritionists are so hung up on starting your day the right way. One great way to start the day off is with Hemp seed Muffins and a spread of Cannabis-infused Cream cheese. Hemp seeds are packed with healthy fats and essential fatty acids. It has all the amino acids your body needs and to top it off, it also has vitamins and minerals. It is seen as a power food.
The benefits of hemp seeds are amazing and apart from the fact that it is very nutritious, it also helps to reduce the risk of heart illnesses. Because of all the healthy fats, it is great for skin disorders too. It is also great for digestive problems.
So, hemp-infused muffins are easy to make and a great source of healthiness. For the muffins you need:
- 2 ½ cups of rolled oats. Use a food processor to ground the oats into oat flour
- ½ cup of all-purpose flour. You can also use an alternative, like almond or coconut flour
- ¼ cup of hemp seeds
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- A pinch of sea salt
- Cinnamon to taste
- Ginger powder to taste
- ¼ of sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup of milk. It could be a little bit more depending on the mixture. If it is to dry, add a bit more milk
- Set the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and spray a muffin pan with cooking spray.
- Put the flour mix in a mixing bowl and add the salt, baking powder and spices. Add the sugar and hemp seeds and mix them very well.
- Wisk the eggs in a cup and fill it to the rim with the milk. Add it to the dry mixture and mix it thoroughly. If the mixture is to dry, add a little more milk.
- When thoroughly mixed, spoon it into the muffin pan and put it into the oven
- Bake it for at least 15 minutes. Baking time can differ depending on sea level. Test after 15 minutes with something sharp. When it comes out clear, the muffins are done
- Take it out of the oven and let it cool down
When the muffins are ready to eat, cannabis-infused cream cheese can be a complimentary spread. Where hemp seeds give you all the vitamins and other health aspects your body needs, the cheese has other health benefits. It helps with anxiety control, to mention one, but it also can be just something to simply enjoy.
How to make Cannabis-infused cream cheese
Obviously, the cheese should already be made beforehand.
For a small cheese you will need:
- A quart of milk (whole milk is preferred)
- 1 cup of buttermilk
- 2 – 3 grams of cannabis.
- Lemon juice and sea salt to your taste.
How much cannabis you want to use is entirely up to you. You can definitely use more than what the recipe suggests.
- Grind the cannabis not too fine. It should be about medium coarse
- Decarboxylate the content for about 2 hours in an oven of 100 degrees Fahrenheit
- During the process of decarboxylation, get ready for the infusion process.
Infusing the Cheese
- Use a double boiler for the next step. Fill the bottom part with water and heat it up to a slow boil. Add the now decarboxylated cannabis to the top part of the double boiler. Be careful not to let it boil to fast. It is a very slow process.
- Add just about 2 cups of milk to the cannabis mix. Close the lid letting it slowly simmer over very low heat for approximately 2 hours for the infusion to happen. Stir every now and again to prohibit a film to form on top.
- Keep about 2 teaspoons full of lemon juice aside. Sometimes it needs more to curdle. This will be used later on to curdle the milk content. Keep an eye on the bottom part of the boiler. It is not to run out of water.
Take the cannabis-infused milk off the heat after 2 hours. Use 4 layers of cheesecloth to strain the milk. The idea is to remove all plant material. During the infusion time, some of the milk would have evaporated. Be sure to top the milk up to two cups again.
Use a thick-bottomed saucepan to pour the 2 cups of milk in. Slowly bring the milk to near simmering over medium heat. Use a thermometer if possible. The temperature should be around 175 degrees Fahrenheit.
Add half a cup of buttermilk just before it reaches the point of simmering.
Add the lemon juice now to start the curdling process. This means the whey (liquid part) gets separated from the curd (the thick part). When all the lemon juice is added, the mixture is to be removed from the heat. Let is stand for another 10 minutes to curdle.
Use about 4 layers of cheesecloth. Scoop the cottage cheese-like curd onto it. A colander is now used to strain the cheese for all the liquid to be removed. The liquid or whey that stays over can be used in pancake mixes or any other recipe for that matter.
When the cheese has drained for a bit, the cheesecloth should be tied to cover the cheese. Hang it over a pot. Make sure that it doesn´t touch any sides. Use some wooden sticks to hang it over the pot. After about 30 minutes all the moisture should be out.
Open the cheesecloth and break the cheese up. Sea salt can now the added to flavor the cheese to your liking. Scoop it into a pottery bowl and cover it up with a plastic film. Let it stay overnight in the refrigerator.